10.18.2009

WebMD....idk how to feel about it.

For those of you that don't know. WebMD has this awesome thing called a symptom checker. Basically it has a sketch of the human body, you click on where it hurts and then go through a list of symptoms and you check the ones that you have. It will then take those symptoms and give you detailed descriptions of about twenty different problems that you can read up on.
This is not to be used to diagnose yourself. It is simply to help you get an idea of what's going on, and then you know what sort of questions to ask your doctor. It can makes things in the doctor's office go a lot smoother.
Now when I use WebMD, I've made it a point to not freak out at the first thing I read...and then at all other 19 problems down the list. Chances are I don't have a broken leg AND prostate cancer. So I simply try to read about all of the possible problems with a completely objective point of view. (idk if that said what i meant it to say) Lets just say i'm not going to assume that i have everything on that list.
However, when you've read everything on there and....eh...they don't all match up. I can see quite a difference in what they say and what my actual problem is. But there is one...about the fourth down on the list....every single symptom of it is EXACTLY what i'm experiencing. How long things last. When they happen the most. A very detailed description of where exactly I have pain. Everything checks out.
Meanwhile, i'm wondering how exactly am I supposed to feel about that? Its not like its a minor problem either, this is a huge issue! But I can't afford to go in and get it even looked at. Now, if I absolutely knew what the problem was and/or how to take care of it better. It would be a lot easier for me to decide whether its worth it to have a doctor (and possibly surgeon) involved. But without knowing for sure, I don't want to spend all that money, that I don't have, just to have a doctor tell me to take it easy and use tylenol for the pain. Because i've been doing that. For three weeks i've been doing that.
I'm at my wit's end, will somebody PLEASE give me advice on what I should do?
Thanks for listening.

No comments: